[Freeipa-users] two questions on IPA usage

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Fri Dec 21 13:31:48 UTC 2012

On 12/20/2012 12:34 AM, David Copperfield wrote:
> Hi Howdy,
>
>   Two questions on IPA usage are listed below. Please help.
>
>   1, How to reset a normal IPA user's password through web interface when the
> password is expired?
>
>   when the normal user's password is close to expiration but still not expired,
> he/she can change it by self through the web interface https://ipaserver/.
> Otherwise he/she has to do ssh/kinit to update his/her password. But the
> problem is: quite some users are non tech-savy -- managers, marketing, sales --
> and they have no ideas of Linux or Kerberos, what they can do is accessing a
> web interface and filling HTML forms.

Hello David,

This feature was introduced in FreeIPA 3.0, you can see the relevant ticket:

When your IPA server is upgraded to this version (it will be part of next RHEL
6 minor version release), Web UI users with expired password will be
automatically offered a form to reset it.

>   2, When the freeIPA 3.0 and 3.1 series RPM will be available on Redhat 6?
> does IPA version 3.0/3.1 has backup/restore solutions, and merged CA LDAP
> instance and IPA LDAP instance?

Merged CA/LDAP instance is available in FreeIPA 3.1 which is not available in
RHEL-6. As for Backup&Restore solution, a FreeIPA provided solution is not
ready yet, but we have a ticket filed and planned already. You can take a look
here:

HTH,
Martin