[Freeipa-users] acroread: unknown user id

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Tue Feb 7 14:04:58 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-02-07 at 14:49 +0100, Sigbjorn Lie wrote:
> On Tue, February 7, 2012 12:32, Sumit Bose wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 07, 2012 at 11:49:07AM +0100, Sigbjorn Lie wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>

> >> This error occurs when starting Acrobat Reader. This occured with version 8, and I just
> >> downloaded AdobeReader_enu-9.4.7-1 to see if that would make a difference. Same problem.
> >>

> >> This is a Red Hat 5 machine running sssd-1.5.1-44.el5.
> >>

> >> $ acroread
> >>

> >> (acroread:3349): GLib-WARNING **: getpwuid_r(): failed due to unknown user id (12345)
> >>

> >> I'm logged on to the console of the machine, and typing "id" returns the username for my uid,
> >> all my groups, etc. I have not experienced this issue with any other applications yet.
> >>
> >> /etc/nsswitch.conf:
> >> passwd:     files sss
> >> group:      files sss
> >> shadow:     files sss
> >>

> >> Anyone seen this before?
> >>

> > yes, I would expect that you run a 32bit acroread on a 64bit system. You have to install the 32bit
> > sssd-client packages as well.
> >
> > HTH
> >

> Ah, you are correct! Installing the i386 packages fixed the issue.
>
> Perhaps the i386 rpm packages should be required by the x86_64 sssd rpm packages to avoid any such
> issues?

There is a long-standing debate on how to handle this.

The problem is that requiring the i386 RPM packages means that the
system has to pull in the 32-bit versions of all its dependencies,
including glibc.i386. On systems that want to be purely 64-bit, we don't
want to force them to have all these extra pieces.

There are several bugs open in RPM and yum to try to figure out how to
solve this correctly. Unfortunately I can't locate the BZs right now.