[Freeipa-users] FreeIPA not starting - probably 389ds cause

Alexander Bokovoy abokovoy at redhat.com
Sun Feb 12 17:24:47 UTC 2012

On Sun, 12 Feb 2012, Marco Pizzoli wrote:
> > > I don't get hangs or other type of similar evidences. My system just
> > > complete (correctly, it seems) a shutdown sequence.
> > > I am not yet an expert about systemd, so I don't know if it's just going
> > > kill the service if it doesn't respond in a specific time to a request to
> > > shut down.
> > > I'm working with more than one virtual machine active on my not-so-new
> > > laptop, so the promptness of response is very low...
> > >
> > > If you want me to do any kind of test, just let me know.
> > If you could reproduce similar results with new VM, it would be good
> > to get access to the 389-ds database in question and exact steps to
> > reproduce the failure.
> >

> I can start the VM setup right now, but please explain more in detail what
> I do need to do for this trial.
Ideally, install Fedora 16 and apply all updates. Then connect over
ssh with something like this:

$ ssh root at freeipa-test-vm | tee -a ~/freeipa-test-vm-session.log

and perform FreeIPA packages install, ipa-server-install, and all
operations that caused the data corruption.

You can logout and enter over ssh multiple times, every time using the
command above to ensure that log is appended.

This log will show what has happened on the console as you performed
install and configuration. In addition to it /var/log will contain
number of files (ipaserver-*.log, ipaclient-*.log, pki*.log, pki-ca/*,
dirsrv/*, etc) with logs relevant to FreeIPA operations. Then
/etc/dirsrv/ would contain 389-ds instances' data stores.

Thanks in advance.
--
/ Alexander Bokovoy