[Freeipa-users] Solaris kerberos - fail

Sigbjorn Lie sigbjorn at nixtra.com
Wed Feb 15 21:53:30 UTC 2012

On 02/15/2012 09:34 PM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
> Sigbjorn Lie wrote:
>> On 02/15/2012 09:06 PM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
>>> You might try adding soladmin to the Host Administrators role and see
>>> if it works then. If it does you'll probably want to create a new role
>>> with more limited permissions.
>>>
>>> I would imagine that a host added this way would not appear as an
>>> IPA-managed host (though adding the host first and using this to just
>>> add the key should be ok).
>>>
>>> rob
>> The version is: freeipa-server-2.1.3-2.fc15.x86_64
>>
>> The kclient script only accepts a parameter "-a adminuser", which it
>> translates into "adminuser/admin". How can I add this to a IPA role?
>>
>> If I attempt to work around that by using kadmin directly instead of the
>> wrapper kclient script on the Solaris host, and specifying the IPA
>> default "admin" account, the same message occur:
>>

>> # kadmin -p admin -q "ktadd -k /etc/krb5/krb5.keytab
>> host/server2.ix.test.com at IX.TEST.COM"
>> Authenticating as principal admin with password.
>> Password for admin at IX.TEST.COM:
>> kadmin: Insufficient access to perform requested operation while
>> changing host/server2.ix.test.com at IX.TEST.COM's key
>>

>> /var/kerberos/krb5kdc/kadm5.acl:
>> admin at IX.TEST.COM *
>>

>> /var/log/kadmind.log:
>> Feb 15 21:18:41 ipa01.ix.test.com kadmind[22727](Notice): Request:
>> kadm5_init, admin at IX.TEST.COM, success, client=admin at IX.TEST.COM,
>> service=kadmin/ipa01.ix.test.com at IX.TEST.COM, addr=192.168.1.238,
>> vers=2, flavor=6
>> Feb 15 21:18:41 ipa01.ix.test.com kadmind[22727](Notice): Request:
>> kadm5_randkey_principal, host/server2.ix.test.com at IX.TEST.COM, User
>> modification failed: Insufficient access, client=admin at IX.TEST.COM,
>> service=kadmin/ipa01.ix.test.com at IX.TEST.COM, addr=192.168.1.238
>
> To be honest, the whole section about kclient, kadmin, etc is new to
> me as well. I don't know when that was added. We'll investigate that,
> sorry about the confusion.

Ok, so it's not just me that was new for. :)

> These problems are likely related to the fact that kadmin assumes a
> different DIT than IPA. We don't recommend kadmin be used.

Yes, I was a bit surprised when I noticed this in the documentation
given other postings on the list where use of kadmin and kadmin.local is
advised to be not supported.

> We recommend using ipa-getkeytab on a Linux box and retrieving the
> keytab that way. Yes, this is less than convenient.

This was my original plan, retreiving all the keytabs for Solaris hosts
on one of the IPA servers, and then distribute them to the Solaris hosts
using CFengine.

> On Solaris 10 you may have a fighting chance of building ipa-getkeytab
> natively. I seem to recall a bunch of optional packages to add various
> LDAP and compiler parts you'd need but it is less than ideal. I had
> absolutely no luck on Solaris 9 without having to compile everything
> myself.

I remember I did give that a go a while back. Gave up pretty quickly
though. I think I will stick with my original plan of distributing
keytabs for Solaris using CFengine. :)

Thanks.

Regards,
Siggi