[Freeipa-users] Replicas in a state of confusion

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Thu Feb 16 20:54:38 UTC 2012

On 02/16/2012 12:38 PM, Ian Levesque wrote:
> On Feb 15, 2012, at 7:22 PM, Rich Megginson wrote:
>
>> Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.  I can't say for sure, but it does look like you are running into some of the tombstone issues we have fixed in 1.2.10.1-1 (now in updates-testing)
> OK, are these errors anything to worry about in a production replicated environment?
id2entry - str2entry returned NULL for id 12, string="rdn"
_entry_set_tombstone_rdn - Failed to convert DN
automountmapname=auto.direct to RDN

yes - there seems to be a problem with "orphan" tombstone entries
https://fedorahosted.org/389/ticket/298

we are working on a patch that we will likely release in 1.2.10.2

if you want to remove the orphan tombstone entries and just start from
scratch, you will have to export your database to LDIF and re-import
it.  Do this on your primary master.  You will then have to
re-initialize all replicas from this master.

NOTE: The following documentation refers to scripts such as db2bak,
db2ldif, etc.  In an IPA installation, these scripts are found in
/var/lib/dirsrv/scripts-DOMAIN

Step 1) make a backup of your database files
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/9.0/html/Administration_Guide/Populating_Directory_Databases-Backing_Up_and_Restoring_Data.html#Backing_Up_and_Restoring_Data-Backing_Up_All_Databases
Step 2) export your userRoot (-n userRoot) database to LDIF
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/9.0/html/Administration_Guide/Populating_Directory_Databases-Exporting_Data.html
Step 3) import your LDIF file into your userRoot database
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/9.0/html/Administration_Guide/Populating_Directory_Databases.html#Populating_Directory_Databases-Importing_Data

use ipa-replica-manage to initialize your replicas from this server