[Freeipa-users] user unable to change password after admin resets pw

Kelvin Edmison kelvin at kindsight.net
Fri Feb 17 03:10:14 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I am trying to roll out ipa as our central authentication system, and am
running into problems with password changes on CentOS 5.

Scenario:
Admin user resets a user's password.
The user, on a non-IPA-managed system, logs into a CentOS 5 server
(IPA-managed) via ssh.  The temporary password is accepted and the user is
immediately prompted to change the password, but the password change fails
with the message 'System is offline, password change not possible'.

$ ssh kelvin at testhost
kelvin at testhost's password:
Warning: Your password will expire in less than one hour.
Password expired. Change your password now.
Last login: Thu Feb 16 21:54:59 2012 from vpn
WARNING: Your password has expired.
You must change your password now and login again!
Changing password for user kelvin.
Current Password:
New UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
System is offline, password change not possible
Warning: Your password will expire in less than one hour.
Warning: Your password will expire in less than one hour.
passwd: Authentication token manipulation error
Connection to testhost closed.

What am I missing?  Can someone please help me get this working?

Thanks,
  Kelvin