[Freeipa-users] automatic dns update failing

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Tue Feb 21 07:37:44 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-02-20 at 17:08 +0100, Marco Pizzoli wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 9:46 AM, Martin Kosek <mkosek at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>         On Sun, 2012-02-19 at 17:23 +0100, Marco Pizzoli wrote:
>
>         > Hi,
>         > During my setup today I'm always failing in enrolling
>         clients with
>         > automatic dns updates.
>         > I'm playing with FreeIPA 2.1.90, but I guess this is a
>         general
>         > problem, not strictly due to the alpha version.
>         >
>         > I'm doing a "ipa-client-install --enable-dns-updates" and at
>         the
>         > console I see:
>         > Failed to update DNS A record. (Command '/usr/bin/nsupdate
>         > -g /etc/ipa/.dns_update.txt' returned non-zero exit status
>         2)
>         >
>         > I see in server logs that named refuses it:
>         > Feb 19 17:05:25 freeipa01 named[2089]: client
>         192.168.20.112#38558:
>         > update 'internet.unix.mydomain.it/IN' denied
>         > Feb 19 17:05:25 freeipa01 named[2089]: client
>         192.168.20.112#40809:
>         > update 'internet.unix.mydomain.it/IN' denied
>         >
>         > What is the cause? What other informations do you need about
>         my
>         > deployment?
>         >
>         > Thanks in advance as usual
>         > Marco
>

>         Hello Marco,
>
>         please check the settings of the zone you are trying to add
>         clients to.
>         GSS-TSIG updates are not enabled by default for new zones, it
>         may be
>         your case.
>
>         This is an entry for my zone 'example.com' where dynamic
>         updates are
>         enabled:
>
>         # ipa dnszone-show example.com --all
>          dn:
>         idnsname=example.com,cn=dns,dc=idm,dc=lab,dc=bos,dc=redhat,dc=com
>          Zone name: example.com
>          Authoritative nameserver: ns.example.com.
>          Administrator e-mail address: hostmaster.example.com.
>          SOA serial: 2012200201
>          SOA refresh: 3600
>          SOA retry: 900
>          SOA expire: 1209600
>          SOA minimum: 3600
>         > BIND update policy: grant IDM.LAB.BOS.REDHAT.COM krb5-self *
>         A; grant IDM.LAB.BOS.REDHAT.COM
>         >                     krb5-self * AAAA; grant
>         IDM.LAB.BOS.REDHAT.COM krb5-self * SSHFP;
>          Active zone: TRUE
>         > Dynamic update: TRUE
>          nsrecord: ns.example.com.
>          objectclass: top, idnsrecord, idnszone
>
>         I have marked the important attributes with ">". I would also
>         make sure
>         that the zone is properly loaded in bind-dyndb-ldap plugin
>         (you can for
>         example try to retrieve its SOA record with dig).
>
> Hi Martin,
> [...]

Hello Marco,

glad we found the root cause. You can update the zone with this command:

# ipa dnszone-mod internet.unix.mydomain.it --dynamic-update=TRUE
--update-policy="grant MYDOMAIN.IT krb5-self * A; grant MYDOMAIN.IT
krb5-self * AAAA; grant MYDOMAIN.IT krb5-self * SSHFP;"
# service named reload (or "rndc reload")

It enables dynamic updates and configures an update policy for it -
every host in this domain can now add/delete its own A/AAAA/SSHFP
records.

Sources of DNS documentation:
1. Our command help:
# ipa help dns