[Freeipa-users] Large slow down when using IPA

Erinn Looney-Triggs erinn.looneytriggs at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 06:48:31 UTC 2012

On 01/02/2012 07:43 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-01-02 at 15:52 -0900, Erinn Looney-Triggs wrote:
>> On 01/02/2012 01:47 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Erinn,
>>> can you please tell what's the baseline you are comparing against ?
>>>
>>> Is it nss_ldap ? With or without nscd ?
>>>
>>> Simo.
>>>

>> Here is what I am comparing, and hoping not to make myself look like an
>> idiot in the process :).
>
> First of all, thanks for the full explanation, it makes the situation
> much more clear.
>
>> ipa-client system without excludes configured in sssd.
>> ipa-client system with excludes for users and groups < id 500 configured
>> in sssd.
>> Finally a non ipa-client system, as in local only.
>>
>> These tests are all being done on the same system. All I have at this
>> point is the fact that I started rolling out IPA (and thus sssd) to
>> clients and AIDE checks bombed in terms of the amount of time they took.
>> That and accurate bacula backups failed because it was taking too long
>> to compare the local files to the db. Now it could be unrelated, but I
>> hope not (in the not looking like an idiot category).
>>
>> Now of course network traffic and lag times are involved here, but the
>> one key point that made me take notice here is that the times for an
>> AIDE check also bombed (at about the same ratio) on the IPA servers
>> themselves, thus pointing me to the idea that perhaps this wasn't all
>> network related.
>
> Indeed it is not all network related, sssd caches a lot of information
> so that most lookups should be 'local'.
>
> Now here comes the gotcha in comparing against local files access.
> The way sssd currently works each request goes through a pipe to the
> sssd_nss process, while with local files glibc just reads entries off
> the /etc/passwd file.
>
> I wouldn't find it surprising that comparing sssd to local files you can
> get a 3x perf hit on user lookups.
> But I wouldn't expect a 3x nor a 2x slowdown on any program that doesn't
> just do user lookups. Some programs that heavily do user lokups may see
> a small degradation but it shouldn't be as evident as what you report,
> just a few percents at most.
>
> This is a know performance issue that we are going to solve with a local
> fast shared memory cache, I planned to add this feature for a few years
> now and I should be able to do it quite soon, but it is not there yet.
>
> If you had compared it to nss_ldap (without nscd) and got wildly
> different results then I'd be surprised :)
>
>> Feel free to let me know if there is something smarter that can be done
>> here, or if you believe I am just barking up the wrong tree. It would be
>> interesting to test against nns_ldap etc. to see if things are about the
>> same. I can also test clients on the same network segment as the ipa
>> server (right now they are showing similar slowdowns as more physically
>> remote systems).

> [...]

Simo,
Thanks for the information, it looks like the real culprit in all of
this was the lastlog file, after excluding it from checks I am now back
to just about normal for aide runs.

Course aide probably should be smarter about sparse files but who knows.

Thanks again for the information, and time.

-Erinn