[Freeipa-users] New SSSD FAQ page in the works

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Wed Jan 11 19:22:10 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-01-11 at 12:56 -0500, Dmitri Pal wrote:
> On 01/10/2012 02:31 PM, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> > It's come up more than once that SSSD needs a Frequently Asked Questions
> > page to field some of our more common questions. I'm reaching out to the
> > SSSD and FreeIPA user and developer communities to help us flesh out
> > this page.
> >
> > I've begun it with the two most common questions I've received lately,
> > as well as a basic primer on enabling debug logging to help identify
> > issues.
> >
> > I'd like some additional suggestions on what questions should be
> > answered on that page, as well as opening the page to volunteer-edits to
> > add answers to any questions they may have had and solved (or enlisted
> > aid in solving) in the past.
> >
> > The page is available at https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/wiki/FAQ and can
> > be edited by anyone with a free Fedora account. If you don't have one,
> > you can register quickly and easily at
> > https://admin.fedorahosted.org/accounts
> >
> > Thank you very much for your contributions.
> >
> > Once this page has some meat, I will also be looking for interested
> > translators to take a stab at making it accessible to non-English-native
> > users.

> 1) What platforms SSSD is supported on?

Added to the FAQ

> 2) Is there an API to configure it?

I think this is more suitable for a separate porting/packaging page,
which we should probably also start writing.

> 3) What are the valid combinations of identity+password+authentication
> +authorization data providers - should be pointer to a page that
> contains a matrix

I agree we should describe this somehow, but I'm not sure what mechanism
to use. A matrix doesn't really work because we have four providers (ID,
AUTH, ACCESS and CHPASS) that need to interact. It's hard to create a
four-dimensional matrix on a two-dimensional surface.

> 4) When should I use enumeration=true ?

Added to the FAQ