[Freeipa-users] Using DHCPD with IPA

Sigbjorn Lie sigbjorn at nixtra.com
Wed Jan 25 23:18:24 UTC 2012

On 01/25/2012 02:30 AM, ~Stack~ wrote:
> 2) How do I get dhcpd to update DNS?
>
> Since I can't find the place to add rndc-keys to BIND, right now I have
> to add every host manually in the web interface because dhcpd isn't
> updating named. This is time consuming and a pain when dealing with
> large amounts of systems. If I could figure out where the named zones
> are stored in IPA I should be able to add my rndc-key and be OK, but
> that gets back into question 1.
>
> My /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf file is pretty basic but all the PXE clients
> have host entries to match their MAC with the group that allows PXE
> booting (ex: host pxe001.project.local{hardware ethernet
> 00:16:17:AB:E9:88; fixed-address 172.31.203.1}).  Unless I mange both
> this file and the IPA interface, the nodes have issues figuring out
> their name. One or the other and the node has issues; both and it works.
> I would really prefer not to manage two locations for all these nodes.
>
> The normal way for dhcpd to talk to BIND(named) is by having a rndc-key.
> However, me fighting with named.conf was the big part of my problems
> before so I am hoping there is a simple way of doing this inside IPA.
>
> Any ideas?

This is what I have done to work around issues similar to yours.

Over a few years I have developed a pxe boot toolbox called
OneClickKick. OCK manages DHCPD by generating config files based upon
information looked up from naming sources such as Mysql, NIS, or LDAP
(IPA). It also creates the PXE boot files in tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg, and
serves kickstart files when PXE booting clients.

I have integrated OCK with IPA to make IPA keep records of the MAC
address, and base my DHCP config upon the information I get from IPA.
For your configuration, the steps for adding a new client would be the
following:

1. Add the host to IPA, specify an IP address so that forward and
reverse DNS records are created for the host
2. The host will appear in OneClickKick, select modify, add the MAC
address (this is being written to the host object in IPA), and select it
for PXE boot / kickstart. This will generate the DHCP config file,
reload dhcpd, and create the required files in the tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg
directory (if you enabled it for PXE booting).
3. PXE boot the client.

By doing this you eliminate the need for dhcpd to update the DNS server,
because the records are already there.

The MAC addresses stored in IPA can also be used by normal Linux and
Solaris (Jumpstart) clients by utilizing their "ethers" table in
nsswitch.conf.

Have a look at the link below to read more and download if you think
OneClickKick could suit your environment.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/oneclickkick/

Regards,
Siggi