[Freeipa-users] BIND named.conf

david root at nachtmaus.us
Sun Jul 15 23:31:38 UTC 2012

One thing to be aware of, you may see some performance hits if the master
for that zone is setup for dynamic updates. A dynamic zone cannot send IXFR
and so any time the slave receives notification, he will ask for an IXFR and
will instead receive an AXFR. If the zones are small, this is not a big
deal, but a busy dynamic zone with a hundred thousand records with just a
couple of slaves (6 in the case I am thinking of), the master server was
brought to his knees just from zone transfers. As you can imagine, this is
also extremely stressful on the slave servers, receiving and processing the
full AXFR every time there is a single record change. If your master for
myzone.tld uses standard bind zone files, then this is not a big deal.

 -DTK