[Freeipa-users] 2.20 dirsrv memory usage

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Mon Jul 16 19:23:06 UTC 2012

Stephen Ingram wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 11:34 AM, Rich Megginson <rmeggins at redhat.com> wrote:
>> On 07/16/2012 11:48 AM, Stephen Ingram wrote:

>>> Nice! I'm guessing that notes=U are unindexed searches then. I have 34
>>> over the last 24 hours so I'm not sure this would be causing the issue
>>> as the slowness persists through every click.
>>
>> Yeah, I would expect to see a lot more than 34 if that were the cause.
>>
>> Can you post the search filters that are unindexed?
>
> Sure, here's a partial list (sanitized):
>
> filter="(managedBy=fqdn=ec2-x.x.x.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com,cn=computers,cn=accounts,dc=example,dc=com)
> attrs="fqdn"
> filter="(managedBy=fqdn=imap.example.com,cn=computers,cn=accounts,dc=example,dc=com)"
> attrs="fqdn"
> filter="(managedBy=fqdn=imap1.example.com,cn=computers,cn=accounts,dc=example,dc=com)"
> attrs="fqdn"
> filter="(managedBy=fqdn=imap2.example.com,cn=computers,cn=accounts,dc=example,dc=com)"
> attrs="fqdn"
> filter="(managedBy=fqdn=ipa1.example.com,cn=computers,cn=accounts,dc=example,dc=com)"
> attrs="fqdn"
>
> All the rest are the same, just with different hosts.
>
>>> I've traced the
>>> unindexed searches back to the time of Web UI access and they don't
>>> match. I also don't see any other obvious errors when running
>>> logconv.pl.
>>>
>>> One strange thing I have noticed is that the 389 server logs seem to
>>> update in "spurts". If I'm tailing the logs while I access a Web UI
>>> page, there is nothing, then a couple of seconds later, I see the logs
>>> quickly scroll with new entires. Has this always been the case? I
>>> don't seem to remember this before.
>>
>> Yes.  The 389 access log is buffered, for performance reasons.
>
> Just thought it might be relevant. I'm not sure what is causing the
> extreme slowness. I've also shut off memcached and tried without it
> with no discernible difference. The directory seems to be handling the
> load of external queries just fine, although I'm not sure I've solved
> the memory issue--I'm still testing with the compat plugin disabled to
> see if I can stop the memory creep. Maybe it's something in the code
> of the Web UI itself as its even slow when changing from page to page
> of users and hosts.

Shutting of memcached is just going to make things even slower.

Things you can try on a quiet system:

1. Create /etc/ipa/server.conf:

[global]
debug=True

Restart Apache

Use the UI to do a few things. Verify in the logs that the session cache
is being used.

2. Check your browser configuration. You don't need delegation-uris set
any more. Having it set might mask other problems (you still need
negotiation-auth.trusted-uris set).

3. Watch what URI is being used in the Apache access log. It should be
/ipa/session/json.

rob