[Freeipa-users] 'Request is a replay'

Sigbjorn Lie sigbjorn at nixtra.com
Wed Jul 25 07:09:01 UTC 2012

On Tue, July 24, 2012 20:29, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-07-24 at 10:22 +0200, Sigbjorn Lie wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>

>> I keep seing this error message in our production environment "Request is a replay" in variuos
>> services using kerberos like ssh, sssd, automounter, squid +++ after the upgrade to RHEL 6.3 /
>> IPA
>> 2.2.
>>

>> Jul 24 10:16:11 server027 sssd_be: GSSAPI Error: Unspecified GSS failure.  Minor code may
>> provide more information (Request is a replay)
>>
>> Seaching google seem to suggest that this is an error with time. However we have NTP configured
>>  (IPA servers as NTP servers) which is synchronized to external NTP servers. There has been no
>> issue before, and I cannot find issue with the time being out of sync on the machines where this
>>  is happening.
>
> This error usually appears only when a same request is found in the
> replay cache. It shouldn't be related to time issues, in that case you usually get clock-skew.
>
> Can you tell me what operation was being performed by sssd when you
> caught that error ? Can you check if immediately before another identical operation had been
> performed ?

Unfortunately no, I believe I was doing an "ls -l" on a nfs drive where sssd had to look up some
uids, or a "ps -ef" where sssd also had to look up some uids or something related.

I am unable to recreate the error with any specific commands, it's occuring randomly. Mind you,
it's occuring to all kerberos based services, not just sssd.

Rgds,
Siggi