[Freeipa-users] Provision user accounts & groups from external IM

Petr Viktorin pviktori at redhat.com
Tue Jun 5 11:14:12 UTC 2012

> On Tue, 05 Jun 2012, Willem Bos wrote:
>> Hi Alexander,
>>
>> Thanks for your quick response.
>>
>> Yes, the server on which the external IM environment is hosted does not
>> have the ipa utils available. As a matter of fact, the server might
>> even be
>> hosted off-site. We're just beginning to explore IM solutions for our
>> environment and the most likely architecture is a 'meta-IM' service that
>> provisions platform specific IM's like AD, Oracle's Internet Directory
>> and
>> IPA. It will probably be a requirement that the meta-IM is to
>> provision IPA
>> directly (instead of Meta-IM -> AD -> IPA).
>>
>> The JASON interface looks promising, I will certainly try the example
>> provided. Would user_add be the suitable command to use? It's the obvious
>> candidate, but I just want to make sure...
> Yes, user_add is the command.

Also note that the RPC calls use LDAP attribute names, which are often
different from the CLI parameters. You can use the show-mappings command
to figure out the names to use:

$ ipa show-mappings user-add
Parameter   : LDAP attribute
=========   : ==============
first       : givenname
last        : sn
cn          : cn
displayname : displayname
initials    : initials
homedir     : homedirectory
gecos       : gecos
shell       : loginshell
principal   : krbprincipalname
email       : mail
random      : random
uid         : uidnumber
gidnumber   : gidnumber
street      : street
city        : l
state       : st
postalcode  : postalcode
phone       : telephonenumber
mobile      : mobile
pager       : pager
fax         : facsimiletelephonenumber
orgunit     : ou
title       : title
manager     : manager
carlicense  : carlicense
sshpubkey   : ipasshpubkey
noprivate   : noprivate

Be careful as there currently are no warnings if you misspell an
argument (we're working on that).

--
Petr³