[Freeipa-users] FreeIPA in a locked down Active Directory environment

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Mon Jun 18 15:13:52 UTC 2012

On 06/18/2012 08:49 AM, Brian Wheeler wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm a sysadmin at a smallish department at my university.  We're
> investigating FreeIPA to replace our homegrown openldap/perl script
> user management stuff.  The difficulty we're facing is that university
> has standardized on Active Directory and they've got it pretty well
> locked down.  We currently use the university's kerberos for
> authentication and our openldap instance to store user/group data.
> When we create a new user a perl script copies the relevant data from
> AD via an authenticated ldap bind since they do not support anonymous
> binds.  For groups we just maintain the ones within our ldap
> environment (AD groups are never copied).  For hosts we have a private
> network that we use nss_ldap to look up hosts and then fall back to
> the university's DNS.
>
> All of the documentation that I've been able to find on FreeIPA seem
> to assume that the people setting up FreeIPA have full access to AD
> and can modify the structure/security settings.

Not exactly.  What documentation are you talking about?

For IPA Windows Sync, IPA needs to be able to use the DirSync control
provided by AD.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms677626%28VS.85%29.aspx

IPA needs the Bind DN and password of an AD user with the rights
specified in that document.

For IPA to get passwords sync'd from AD, you need to install the
PassSync.msi on all of your domain controllers.