[Freeipa-users] ipa-getkeytab and mandatory password change

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Tue Jun 19 09:54:23 UTC 2012

> Just experienced some weird behaviour on my Fedora 17 installation,
> just wanted to check if this was expected.
>
> I have the default config that requires a user to change their
> password the first time they run kinit.
>
> However I created a user and immediately used ipa-getkeytab as this
> user will be a non-interactive process, despite the ipa-getkeytab
> resetting the secret for the user the first attempt at authentication
> failed as the user was still told to change their password.

I do not think we have anticipated this use. The ipa-getkeytab is
designed for the host and services keytabs not for users. I suggest that
use a service principal rather than a user principal to run those jobs.
You can also file an RFE to allow keytabs for users if you think that
services would not work for you.