[Freeipa-users] ipa user-add

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Thu Jun 21 19:47:23 UTC 2012

On 06/21/2012 03:10 PM, george he wrote:
> it's x86_64  2.2.0-1.fc17.
> Thanks,
> George

You are looking at the private group feature.
By default IPA encorages you to take advantage of the user private
groups - the groups that have only current user in them.
The value of this is that the files on the file system can be owned just
by the user. It is a good practice.
To turn it off there is a utility to turn the managed entries creation.

Please do not use LDAP directly (at least yet).

There is another feature that allows one to specify a criteria for
placing users or hosts into groups.
Users in the past were automatically placed into the ipausers group but
not any more for security reasons explained above and for performance
reasons as one huge group causes sssd to pull everybody on the first lookup.

>     *From:* Rob Crittenden <rcritten at redhat.com>

Thank you,
Dmitri Pal

Sr. Engineering Manager IPA project,