[Freeipa-users] rfe: ldap for dhcp

William Brown william at firstyear.id.au
Tue Jun 26 23:50:09 UTC 2012

On 06/27/2012 12:14 AM, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-06-26 at 15:54 +0200, Natxo Asenjo wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 3:13 PM, Stephen Gallagher
>> <sgallagh at redhat.com> wrote:
>>         On Tue, 2012-06-26 at 15:02 +0200, Natxo Asenjo wrote:
>>         > hi,
>>         >
>>         > recently it was brought to my attendtion that isp-dhcpd
>>         version 4.2
>>         > supports getting its database information from ldap. Earlier
>>         versions
>>         > support it as well with a patch.
>>         >
>>         > It would be awesome if this could be integrated in IPA.
>>         >
>>         > I am aware you guys have your hands full with plenty of
>>         stuff, but if
>>         > this could get integrated IPA would be even further than AD
>>         (that as
>>         > far as I know cannot do this).
>>

>>         Natxo, would you be interested in contributing this
>>         functionality? If
>>         you are familiar with Python, an excellent primer on FreeIPA
>>         development
>>         can be found at http://abbra.fedorapeople.org/guidnatxoe.html
>>
>>         The core FreeIPA team has a lot on their plate right now, so
>>         any major
>>         new features like this would probably need to be contributed
>>         from wider
>>         community or else deferred until the current crop of
>>         functionality is
>>         complete.
>>
>>         We'd be happy to help you along if you (or anyone else on this
>>         mailing
>>         list) wants to take this feature on.
>>
>> Not familiar with Python (Perl guy, basic), but I can always try
>> stuff. I am just a sysadmin :-)
>>
>> I have read the link you posted, and I think I would need a *lot* of
>> hand holding to get it in the web-ui.
>>
>> What I can try is see if it works outside of the web ui. Importing the
>> dhcp schema in the directory and filling in the dhcp objects. Then get
>> it to work with a dhcp server.
>>
>> If that works, then we can see how we get from there.
>>
>> I already appreciate you take this seriously. Thanks!
>
> Hi Naxto,
> take a look at the freeipa-devel list,
> William Brown is working on basic integration and has sent a few mails,
> where he points at a git tree with some work.
> Maybe you can coordinate to do some testing, that would be useful.
>
> I'm CCing him.
>
> Simo.

Hi all,

Find my work here : https://bitbucket.org/Firstyear/freeipa-dhcp

I currently have a large set of changes sitting on my laptop awaiting
push / formation of a patch for review. I'll try to send this in at some
stage today.

Take a look at
https://bitbucket.org/Firstyear/freeipa-dhcp/src/f63a7e505705/TODO.DHCP
for my "todo" list, and at
http://www.freeipa.org/page/DHCP_Integration_Design for some of my
planning about this integration. Both are subject to change in the near
future however.

At this stage, if you just pull my changes, the Schema for isc-dhcp is
included and will work in a default install of FreeIPA if you feel like
manually adding in your objects. However, the risk is that in the future
the work I am doing will clobber the efforts you make in setting this up
by hand. If you are still interested in doing a setup by hand, look at
the file /usr/share/doc/dhcp-4.2.4/ldap/README.ldap from the dhcp
package on fedora.

I'm still a way from being able to run the "ipa-dhcp-install" command,
or even testing this, but once I get to that point, I'll let you know so
you can test this out. My first goal is getting the command line tools
to be "solid" then turning my attention to the WebUI.

Feel free to chat to me about this more, on the FreeIPA-devel list, or
the #freeipa irc channel.

--
Sincerely,

William Brown