[Freeipa-users] UID 999, not possible?

Petr Viktorin pviktori at redhat.com
Fri Jun 29 13:25:30 UTC 2012

> On Thu, 28 Jun 2012, sysadmin at noboost.org wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Is there a weird restriction to UID 999 in ipa, as IPA keeps changing
>> the UID when I add a user with that number? (I've already checked the
>> UID isn't in use)
> We use 999 as a marker for DNA plugin. UID/GID 999 is replaced by
> an allocated one with the help of the 389-ds plugin
> http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/DNA_Plugin
> http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/9.0/html/Deployment_Guide/Defining_Dynamic_Atrribute_Values.html#about-dunamically-assigning-attribute-values

The documentation mentions that the magic value can be a word ("magic"),
or it doesn't have to exist at all (it's added for
objectClass:posixAccount entries). Is there a reason IPA is using 999 here?

If there is, the command should fail instead of silently assigning a
different number than asked for. I'll file a bug for this.

>> [root at sysvm-ipa ~]# ipa user-add administrator --uid=999 --gidnumber=132
>> --first=administrator --last=administrator
>> --------------------------
>> Added user "administrator"
>> --------------------------
>>  User login: administrator
>>  First name: administrator
>>  Last name: administrator
>>  Full name: administrator administrator
>>  Display name: administrator administrator
>>  Initials: aa
>>  Home directory: /home/administrator
>>  GECOS field: administrator administrator
>>  Login shell: /bin/bash
>>  Kerberos principal: administrator at EXAMPLE.COM
>>  UID: 721000062
>>  GID: 132
>>  Keytab: False
>>  Password: False