[Freeipa-users] SSSD (sssd_be) crashing on RHEL 6.2

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Fri Mar 2 14:04:15 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-03-02 at 14:52 +0100, Sigbjorn Lie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm experiencing that SSSD is now crashing at random times on _ALL_ RHEL 6.2 machines where we
> have installed SSSD connected to an IPA domain. SSSD can reach up to a month of uptime before
> sssd_be crashes. This happens on both physical and virtual machines. It happens at different
> machines at different times, sometimes during working hours, other times during the middle of the
> night. It's never happened on several machines at the same time.
>
> These machines does not have a GUI and the issue is similar but not directly related to the KDE
> screensaver lock as per my earlier posts. Also, the KDE screensaver issue was at RHEL 5.
>
> What happens is a line in the syslog about sssd_be crashing.
>
> sssd_be[1418] general protection ip:41d527 sp:7fff9e82ead0 error:0 in sssd_be[400000+4a000]
>
> sssd_be is then being restarted by the parent process, but is no longer usable. Any login via ssh
> to these machines will just hang.
>
> Has anyone else seen this issue?

Can you try to get us a backtrace, please? "general protection" isn't
enough information. Though it's interesting that it's "general
protection" and not "segfault"... That's certainly new.

Do you have abrtd running on these systems? If so, it should be able to
capture a core dump when this happens again, which you can use to
generate a backtrace for us.