[Freeipa-users] Virtualising FreeIPA domain controller

Ondrej Valousek ondrejv at s3group.cz
Fri Mar 2 14:39:04 UTC 2012

> Well I do not know about just 'pausing' it sounds not plausible to me,
> except wrt clock skew which may cause krb auth and replication to fail.

Yes, that's exactly what is happening.
> But if you restore such a snapshot after the original machine had a
> fatal accident then it may come with issues.
It is enough just to 'resume' the VM host operation (after being paused) to cause problems.
> I think the issue is due to the fact that the directory service in AD is
> not being shut down before the snapshot. This results in you
> snapshotting the underlying database in a potentially unclean state.
> You could run in similar issues if you do this with FreeIPA and you do
> not ipactl stop right before taking the snapshot, the DS database will
> be in an open state and potentially in the middle of a transaction.
Yes, I understand the consequences and how to deal with them in the IPA environment. But for most admins it seems to me better just to
generally say "never virtualize this unless you well know what you are doing", right?

Ondrej

Proud winners of the prestigious Irish Software Exporter Award 2011 from Irish Exporters Association (IEA).  Please, refer to our web site for more details regarding the award.
--------
The information contained in this e-mail and in any attachments is confidential and is designated solely for the attention of the intended recipient(s). If you are not an intended recipient, you must not use, disclose, copy, distribute or retain this e-mail or any part thereof. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete all copies of this e-mail from your computer system(s).
Please direct any additional queries to: communications at s3group.com.
Thank You.
Silicon and Software Systems Limited. Registered in Ireland no. 378073.
Registered Office: South County Business Park, Leopardstown, Dublin 18