[Freeipa-users] automount questions

Jakub Hrozek jhrozek at redhat.com
Mon Mar 12 16:42:07 UTC 2012

I wasn't sure about these two questions so I went ahead and asked the
Red Hat autofs maintainer -- I don't think he follows this list. Below
are his replies.

On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 09:09:17PM +0100, Natxo Asenjo wrote:
>    Second question: is it normal that one has to restart the autofs service
>    after adding an automount key in a direct map for the client to see it? If
>    I do not do it, then the client does not see the new key so it cannot
>    mount it either.

You need to send SIGHUP to the deamon to force rereading of a map. When
I was working on the autofs/sssd integration effort, we spoke briefly
with Ian about possibilities of better ways to reread a map, but nothing
has surfaced yet.

>    Third question: is it safe to restart the autofs service when people have
>    mounted shares on a client?

The short answer is yes, long answer is it depends :-)

While the mounts that are currently active will continue and will be
completely unaware of the autofs service restart, the automounter deamon
will not be servicing requests until it processes the maps again after a
restart.