[Freeipa-users] compat plug-in and replication

Stephen Ingram sbingram at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 19:55:30 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 12:12 PM, Rob Crittenden <rcritten at redhat.com> wrote:
> Stephen Ingram wrote:
>>
>> I've seen mention about the compat plug-in causing issues with
>> replication. In my 2.1.4 installation I notice that the plug-in is
>> turned on by default. Is compat only required for those supporting NIS
>> or does it serve another purpose. As I don't use NIS, I'm just
>> wondering if it's safe to turn off.
>

> The compat plugin wasn't causing problems with replication but we did see
> increasing memory and CPU usage during migration. We now recommend that
> compat be disabled when migrating entries (who needs the overhead anyway).

What do you mean exactly by migrating entries or migration in general?
I'm getting the impression that this is something different than
replication? If you disable compat, then those entries would not
appear in the replica, no?

> Yes, safe to turn it off depending on what your needs are. There are two
> capabilities provided by the slapi-nis plugin:
>
> 1. Compatibility for older clients such as Solaris which doesn't fully grok
> 2307bis and netgroup triples (ipa-compat-manage enable/disable)
>
> 2. An NIS listener (ipa-nis-manage enable/disable) which requires compat to
> be enabled.
>
> But like I said, shouldn't impact replication at all. It just reformats
> data.

Could you please explain what you mean by reformatting the data? Are
you talking about changing something in the directory?

Steve