[Freeipa-users] Problem in "ipa migrate-ds" procedure

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Mon Mar 19 13:53:44 UTC 2012

Dmitri Pal wrote:
> On 03/19/2012 08:56 AM, Marco Pizzoli wrote:
>>

>> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 1:43 PM, Simo Sorce <simo at redhat.com
>> <mailto:simo at redhat.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     On Sun, 2012-03-18 at 18:33 +0100, Marco Pizzoli wrote:
>>     >
>>     >
>>     > On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 5:49 PM, Dmitri Pal <dpal at redhat.com
>>     <mailto:dpal at redhat.com>> wrote:
>>     > On 03/17/2012 07:36 AM, Marco Pizzoli wrote:
>>     > > Hi guys,
>>     > > I'm trying to migrate my ldap user base to freeipa. I'm
>>     > > using the last Release Candidate.
>>     > >
>>     > > I already changed "ipa config-mod --enable-migration=TRUE"
>>     > > This is what I have:
>>     > >
>>     > > ipa -v migrate-ds
>>     > > --bind-dn="cn=manager,dc=mydc1,dc=mydc2.it <http://mydc2.it>"
>>     > > --user-container="ou=people,dc=mydc1,dc=mydc2.it
>>     <http://mydc2.it>"
>>     > > --user-objectclass=inetOrgPerson
>>     > > --group-container="ou=groups,dc=mydc1,dc=mydc2.it
>>     <http://mydc2.it>"
>>     > > --group-objectclass=posixGroup
>>     > > --base-dn="dc=mydc1,dc=mydc2.it <http://mydc2.it>"
>>     --with-compat ldap://ldap01
>>     > > ipa: INFO: trying https://freeipa01.unix.mydomain.it/ipa/xml
>>     > > Password:
>>     > > ipa: INFO: Forwarding 'migrate_ds' to server
>>     > > u'http://freeipa01.unix.mydomain.it/ipa/xml'
>>     > > ipa: ERROR: Container for group not found at
>>     > > ou=groups,dc=mydc1,dc=mydc2.it <http://mydc2.it>
>>     > >
>>     > > I looked at my ldap server logs and I found out that the
>>     > > search executed has scope=1. Actually both for users and
>>     > > groups. This is a problem for me, in having a lot of
>>     > > subtrees (ou) in which my users and groups are. Is there a
>>     > > way to manage this?
>>     > >
>>     > > Thanks in advance
>>     > > Marco
>>     > >
>>     > > P.s. As a side note, I suppose there's a typo in the verbose
>>     > > message I obtain in my output:
>>     > > ipa: INFO: Forwarding 'migrate_ds' to server
>>     > > u'http://freeipa01.unix.mydomain.it/ipa/xml'
>>     >
>>     >
>>     > Please open tickets for both issues.
>>     >
>>     >
>>     > Done:
>>     > https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/2547
>>     > https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/2546
>>     >
>>     > Do you have a hint on how to manage to do this import in the
>>     meantime?
>>     > Every manual step is ok for me.
>>
>>     Maybe you can try performing a new migration for each of the subtrees
>>     you have in your source tree, assuming it is a reasonable number, by
>>     reconfiguring the migrate-ds bases between each run.
>>

>> Yes, I was thinking the same... :-)
>> To be able to script "ipa migrate-ds", I would need a parameter for
> [...]

It doesn't look like we verify the membership so I think it will work
just fine. It is not invalid in LDAP to have a group with a member that
doesn't exist, so this shouldn't cause any errors.

You can do something like echo password | ipa migrate-ds
ldap://myserver.example.com:389 --user-container=...

rob