[Freeipa-users] Problem in "ipa migrate-ds" procedure

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Mon Mar 19 19:31:28 UTC 2012

Marco Pizzoli wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 2:42 PM, Rob Crittenden <rcritten at redhat.com
> <mailto:rcritten at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     Dmitri Pal wrote:
>
>         On 03/17/2012 07:36 AM, Marco Pizzoli wrote:
>
>             Hi guys,
>             I'm trying to migrate my ldap user base to freeipa. I'm
>             using the last
>             Release Candidate.
>
>             I already changed "ipa config-mod --enable-migration=TRUE"
>             This is what I have:
>
>             ipa -v migrate-ds
>             --bind-dn="cn=manager,dc=__mydc1,dc=mydc2.it <http://mydc2.it>
>             <http://mydc2.it>"
>             --user-container="ou=people,__dc=mydc1,dc=mydc2.it
>             <http://mydc2.it>
>             <http://mydc2.it>" --user-objectclass=__inetOrgPerson
>             --group-container="ou=groups,__dc=mydc1,dc=mydc2.it
>             <http://mydc2.it> <http://mydc2.it>"
>             --group-objectclass=posixGroup
>             --base-dn="dc=mydc1,dc=mydc2.__it <http://mydc2.it>
>             <http://mydc2.it>" --with-compat ldap://ldap01
>
>             ipa: INFO: trying
>             https://freeipa01.unix.__mydomain.it/ipa/xml
>             <https://freeipa01.unix.mydomain.it/ipa/xml>
>             Password:
>             ipa: INFO: Forwarding 'migrate_ds' to server
>             u'http://freeipa01.unix.__mydomain.it/ipa/xml
>             <http://freeipa01.unix.mydomain.it/ipa/xml>'
>             ipa: ERROR: Container for group not found at
>             ou=groups,dc=mydc1,dc=mydc2.it <http://mydc2.it>
>             <http://mydc2.it>
>

>             I looked at my ldap server logs and I found out that the search
>             executed has scope=1. Actually both for users and groups.
>             This is a
>             problem for me, in having a lot of subtrees (ou) in which my
>             users and
>             groups are. Is there a way to manage this?
>
>             Thanks in advance
>             Marco
>
>             P.s. As a side note, I suppose there's a typo in the verbose
>             message I
>             obtain in my output:
>             ipa: INFO: Forwarding 'migrate_ds' to server
>             *u*'http://freeipa01.unix.__mydomain.it/ipa/xml
>             <http://freeipa01.unix.mydomain.it/ipa/xml>'
>

>         Please open tickets for both issues.
>

>     Well, I don't think either is a bug.
>
>     If you have users/groups in multiple places you'll need to migrate
>     them individually for now. It is safe to run migrate-ds multiple
>     times, existing users are not migrated.
>

> I just re-executed by specifing a nested ou for my groups.
> This is what I got:
>
> ipa: INFO: trying https://freeipa01.unix.csebo.it/ipa/xml
> ipa: INFO: Forwarding 'migrate_ds' to server
> u'http://freeipa01.unix.csebo.it/ipa/xml'
> -----------
> migrate-ds:
> -----------
> Migrated:
> Failed user:
>    fw03075_no: Type or value exists:
>    [other users listed]
> Failed group:
>    pdbac32: Type or value exists:
>    [other groups listed]
> [...]

Type or value exists occurs when one tries to add an attribute value to
an entry that already exists.

I suspect that the underlying problem is different between users and groups.

For groups it is likely adding a duplicate member.

For users I'm not really sure. It could be one of the POSIX attributes.
What does a failed entry look like?

rob