[Freeipa-users] password policy

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Tue May 1 02:07:25 UTC 2012

Steven Jones wrote:
> Is there a way for a standard user to query how long before his password
> is going to expire?
>
> ie locally we can do chage --list <user>

chage requires shadow passwords IIRC and we don't provide that map in
sssd. Off the top of my head I think the only way to get it would be an
ldapsearch which would be rather nasty. Would be relatively easy to
script up I suppose.

> Also if the password is expired is there a grace period past which a
> user cant reset when they next login?

I don't believe so.

> I notice that there are commands like,
>
> ipa pwpolicy-show --user=jsmith
>
> "ipa" isnt installed on std IPA clients? what package is needed to allow
> users access to this command, would allowing them access be a problem?

The ipa tool is in the [free]ipa-admintools package. There is no reason
you can't install this on every client, we just figured it would be
overkill to include it by default.

rob