[Freeipa-users] red hat 5 and red hat 6 compatability

Matthew Davidson matt at mldserviceslex.com
Wed May 2 12:55:03 UTC 2012

Greetings,

Trying to get a Red Hat 5.8 server installed as a client to
my Red Hat 6 server.

The first problem was at the install.

yum install
ipa-client ipa-admintools

No ipa-admintools! The RHEL5 system
is registered with Red Hat and I have searched the web.

But I went
ahead with the installation and I have joined RHEL5 to the domain.

>From the
command line.

kinit
mdavidson will log in.

klist

Ticket cache: FILE:/tmp/krb5cc_0

Default principal: mdavidson at EXAMPLE.COM

Looks good but I cannot setup ssh and ssh is essential.

I assume it’s because I cannot perform this part of the steps.

http://bit.ly/Ivxxwj : Procedure
1.5. To configure a Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 IPA client for incoming SSH
connections:

The IPA client installation process configures the NTP service by
default, but you should ensure that time on the IPA client and server is
synchronized. If it is not, run the following commands on the IPA client:

# service ntpd stop

# ntpdate -s -p 8 -u ipaserver.example.com

# service ntpd start

Note

The ntpdate command does not work if ntpd is running.

Obtain a Kerberos ticket for the admin user.

# kinit admin

Add a host service principal on the IPA client.

# ipa-addservice host/ipaclient.example.com (My error is -bash:
ipa: command not found)

Retrieve the keytab.

# ipa-getkeytab -s ipaserver.example.com -p
host/ipaclient.example.com -k /etc/krb5.keytab (My error is -bash: ipa: command
not found)

>From RHEL5 /var/log/secure:

May  1 14:09:41
wkylexsys21 sshd[2984]: Invalid user mdavidson from 192.168.1.110

May  1 14:09:41
wkylexsys21 sshd[2985]: input_userauth_request: invalid user mdavidson

May  1 14:09:46
wkylexsys21 sshd[2984]: pam_unix(sshd:auth): check pass; user unknown

May  1 14:09:46
wkylexsys21 sshd[2984]: pam_unix(sshd:auth): authentication failure; logname=
uid=0 euid=0 tty=ssh ruser= rhost=rhel6.example.com

May  1 14:09:46
wkylexsys21 sshd[2984]: pam_succeed_if(sshd:auth): error retrieving information
about user mdavidson

May  1 14:09:48
wkylexsys21 sshd[2984]: Failed password for invalid user mdavidson from
192.168.1.110 port 58959 ssh2

May  1 14:10:04
wkylexsys21 sshd[2984]: Failed password for invalid user mdavidson from
192.168.1.110 port 58959 ssh2

May  1 14:10:09
wkylexsys21 sshd[2984]: pam_unix(sshd:auth): check pass; user unknown

May  1 14:10:09
wkylexsys21 sshd[2984]: pam_succeed_if(sshd:auth): error retrieving information
about user mdavidson

May  1 14:10:10
wkylexsys21 sshd[2984]: Failed password for invalid user mdavidson from
192.168.1.110 port 58959 ssh2

May  1 14:10:22
wkylexsys21 sshd[2984]: pam_unix(sshd:auth): check pass; user unknown

May  1 14:10:22
wkylexsys21 sshd[2984]: pam_succeed_if(sshd:auth): error retrieving information
about user mdavidson

May  1 14:10:24
wkylexsys21 sshd[2984]: Failed password for invalid user mdavidson from
192.168.1.110 port 58959 ssh2

DNS works.

ntpd is running.

I checked all the configuration files.

I have searched for ipa-admintools and I’m sure this is why I cannot run the ipa commands in
step 1.5.

What
am I missing? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Matt