[Freeipa-users] backup/restore IPA servers with db2ldap.pl, ldap2db.pl ???

David Copperfield cao2dan at yahoo.com
Fri May 11 22:05:59 UTC 2012

Please feel free to do it. Thanks.

--David

________________________________
 From: Dmitri Pal <dpal at redhat.com>
To: Rich Megginson <rmeggins at redhat.com>
Cc: David Copperfield <cao2dan at yahoo.com>; Rob Crittenden <rcritten at redhat.com>; E Deon Lackey <dlackey at redhat.com>; "freeipa-users at redhat.com" <freeipa-users at redhat.com>
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2012 2:53 PM
Subject: Re: [Freeipa-users] backup/restore IPA servers with db2ldap.pl, ldap2db.pl ???

On 05/10/2012 10:54 PM, Rich Megginson wrote:
On 05/10/2012 07:54 PM, David Copperfield wrote:
>OK,
>>

>> that means the steps below:
>>

>>1) on IPA replica, lets create 4 IPA users: A,B,C and D.  Now make a backup with 'db2ldif.pl -r ...'
>>

>>2) on IPA replica, delete the user D. 'ipa user-del D'.
>>

>>3, on IPA master, delete the user C. 'ipa user-del C'.
>>

>>4, now check on other IPA master and IPA replica, both shows only two users 'A' and 'B'. this is expected.
>>

>>5, now on IPA replica, restore the backup with 'ldif2db.pl'
>>

>>6, check on IPA replica immediately, 'ipa user-find' shows 4 users 'A, B, C, D' at the beginning.
>>

>>7, check IPA Master, 'ipa user-find' shows still only two users 'A, B'.
>>

>>8, wait 3 minutes or so, check on IPA replica, and found that there are only THREE users 'A, B, D'. The users 'C' is deleted now -- change propagated from IPA Master.
>>

>>9, check on IPA Master again and again, there are still only two users 'A, B'.
>>

>>10, check on IPA Replica again and again, there are still three users 'A, B,D'. --- this status is different from IPA Master's 'A,B', or backup's  'A, B, C, D'.
>>

>>If backup was created without '-r' option, then the step 8 above will always show 'A,B,C,D', the same as backup.  with '-r' option make the final result between.
>>

>>Hope I have explained it clearly. Please advice something like ipa2ldif.pl and ldif2ipa.pl tools. There are really the key useful feature for serious production IPA deployment, which is definitely of much higher priority than dogtag.
>Sounds like a bug.  What should happen is that the deletion of C
      and D should be propagated to replica.

Was a bug or a ticket filed?

>>Thanks a lot.
>>

>>--David
>>

>>________________________________

                                    IPA master. 1/3 times we can find it
                                    -- and in just a few seconds. other
                                    2/3 times it could not be found even
                                    after HALF HOUR.

>>>Ok, I see.  The problem is that a regular
                              db2ldif[.pl] does not save the replication
                              meta-data.  You must use the -r option to
                              generate an ldif file with the replication
                              meta-data.  ldif2db[.pl] is destructive -
                              it wipes out your database completely and
                              replaces it, wiping out any replication
                              meta-data in the process.  If you
                              ldif2db[.pl] a file exported with
                              db2ldif[.pl] -r, it will replace the
                              replication meta-data too.

>>>See http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/9.0/html/Administration_Guide/Managing_Replication-Initializing_Consumers.html#Initializing_Consumers-Manual_Consumer_Initialization_Using_the_Command_Line
>>>

>>>--David

                                          data was synced?  Note that if
                                          a server has been down for a
                                          while, it will take the
                                          supplier up to 5 minutes to
                                          recognize that the consumer is
                                          up again, without force sync.

Thank you,
Dmitri Pal Sr. Engineering Manager IPA project,
Looking to carve out IT costs? www.redhat.com/carveoutcosts/