[Freeipa-users] DogTag PKI uses ?

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Sun May 13 17:46:56 UTC 2012

On 05/10/2012 04:52 PM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
> Jan-Frode Myklebust wrote:
>> We're finally implementing IPA in our company (migrating from Sun
>> Identity Manager populated LDAP + manually maintained netgroups and
>> sudoers also in LDAP). I think I understand how to migrate these parts
>> to IPA, but the dogtag part is quite foreign currently..
>>
>> We already has two private PKI infrastructures implemented. One for
>> managing user certificates for about 250 openvpn users, and another for
>> managing certificates for a few internal web services. Should we look
>> into re-using one of these CA's in IPA?

How are the openVPN user certificates are used?
Do you create a PKI pair and put it on user laptops?
If this is the case the PKI pair can very well be related to the machine
(laptop) identity rather than user identity.
Then IPA can mange such certs and certmonger can track and renew them.
This assumes that laptops run Fedora, RHEL or version of Ubuntu or
CentOS that supports certmonger, sssd and ipa client.