[Freeipa-users] FreeIPA and others

Steven Jones Steven.Jones at vuw.ac.nz
Tue May 15 20:56:28 UTC 2012

8><------

What do you feel is the biggest struggle?

Is it the base core features, or is it external integration pains for things feature that don't exist yet?

Core functionality is fine and I'm very impressed with the ui and IPA's paper capability. You are correct nothing else on paper at least comes close.....and Ive tried a few things searching for a solution, FDS, 389...Sun's, Novell's Oracle's LDAP/IdMs...all ouch....Given time I think IPA will be an award winner personally....it will be/is like AD, a gamer changer....

:)

The two things that hurt me a lot is yes lack of external integration and fault finding.  The former can be "easily" fixed with a depth of docs that will come in time. Partially this means I think that RH needs to engage with hardware vendors like EMC, Bluearc, Bluecoat (to name my three pain points) to provide accurate docs at least and if possible make it easier....with automation....Im trying to get there and I will write up howtos....Im doing NFS and Bluearc at present, EMC and Bluecoat soon.  Doesn't help that I lack fundamentals in some areas....that isn't IPA's fault.

The biggest obvious issue I have day to day is fault finding IPA, improving message codes would be one area to look at....

regards