[Freeipa-users] FreeIPA v 2.2 in an AD environment

William Muriithi william.muriithi at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 19:23:39 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I am in the process of deploying freeIPA 2.2 to authenticate Linux
systems and have been able to setup everything nicely with separate
domain.  I mean users are currently using separate password to access
Linux system and another set of password from AD for desktop stuff. On
Friday, I came across an article on freeIPA v 3 and noticed one can
use the same username & password for both Linux and Windows systems.
I have since felt this would be a better setup and but feel like the
documentation are not clear on how to achieve the above.

Would anyone be able to clarify this:

- Can I be able to synchronize the current AD user credentials with
FreeIPA 2.2 or do I have to upgrade to FreeIPA 3.0 ?
- If upgrading is necessary, is there an RPM that can run on RHEL 6.2
?  I can only seem to find freeIPA v3 RPM for Fedora 17.  Was hoping
to use a blessed RPM instead of rolling one which mean be incompatible
with the distribution RPM once it comes around

Regards,

William