[Freeipa-users] Updating the CA certificate

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Tue Nov 6 21:06:26 UTC 2012

Erinn Looney-Triggs wrote:
> On 11/05/12 10:42, Rob Crittenden wrote:
>> Erinn Looney-Triggs wrote:

>>> Using dogtag CA and it is replicated, though, and I am not sure if this
>>> makes an difference, it is a subordinate CA that has been issued by an
>>> AD PKI setup.
>>
>> You'll need to start with your AD PKI. I'm assuming it is expiring as
>> well since the IPA CA validity period is limited by its issuer. Are you
>> going to rekey the AD CA or renew the current CA cert?
>>
>> rob
>>

> Subordinate CAs from the AD by default are only valid for two years,
> whereas by default the CA for the AD is valid for 10 years. So only the
> subordinate cert is being reissued.
>
> The key won't be changing on the IPA end, just the cert. Normally this
> would just be an import new cert type thing, but I am unsure in the IPA
> environment.
>
> Make sense?
> -Erinn

Renewing a CA signing certificate with the same key pair is a much simpler.

Here is a link on how to do so:
https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Certificate_System/8.1/html/Admin_Guide/managing-ca-related-profiles.html

look under
2.7.3. Allowing a CA Certificate to Be Renewed Past the CA's Validity Period

rob