[Freeipa-users] FreeIPA on a dual boot system

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Mon Nov 19 15:30:14 UTC 2012

小龙 陈 wrote:
> Hi fellow FreeIPA users!
>
> I just got my FreeIPA set up perfectly and I was wondering if it's possible to set it up in the other OS in a dual boot configuration. Since I'm still on the same computer (therefore, the same MAC address), ipa-client-install fails saying that I'm already joined to the domain.
>
> Is there anything I can do allow the dual booted OS to join? Do I need to change my network configuration?

It isn't enforcing it on a MAC level, but a hostname level.

It should be possible though I'm not sure it's a great idea to do so.
You'd have effectively two machines claiming to be one.

I haven't tried this procedure, but I suspect this will work.

I'll refer to the different boot states as A and B.

1. Configure A as an ipa client
2. Boot to B
3. On the IPA server run: ipa host-disable A
4. Configure B as an ipa client
5. Copy the host keytab on B from /etc/krb5.conf to the same location on A
6. Boot to A to confirm it works

There is also the matter of the SSL certificate for A and B. It is not
currently being used, so it should be safe to stop tracking it on one or
both of them:

# ipa-getcert list
# ipa-getcert stop-tracking -i <request_id>

 From a support standpoint you'll likely be much better off having
separate hostnames for your different boot images.

rob