[Freeipa-users] RFE: default hbac is too open

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Fri Nov 30 18:24:28 UTC 2012

Natxo Asenjo wrote:
> hi,
>
> the default hbac rule 'allow_all' is nice for testing, but for a
> production environment I am not so sure ;-)
>
> We do not want our users getting a shell in our kdc servers or in the
> database servers for instance. We want them to use the postgresql
> service, but not login the database server with a shell. Many more
> examples are conceivable, of course.
>
> Is it possible to have this policy adapted to 'everything but ssh' for
> instance? That is, disable ssh logins unless explicitely allowed by
> another policy. This would be the equivalent of 'Remote Desktop Users'
> in an AD domain. Uses may login at the console everywhere (their
> workstations), but if they need to login interactively in a server
> then they need to be a member of this group. This does not prevent
> them from using other resources like shares, printers, e-mail,
> databases, ...
>
> I am just afraid that unless this becomes the default during the
> installation, most ipa environments will stay like this which could be
> an unexpected security problem. No one but kerberos admins should have
> shell access to the kdc in a kerberos realm.

Our expectation was that this default rule would be deleted by sites
that want to use HBAC, and that specially crafted rules would replace
it. There is an install option to not create this rule at all,
--no_hbac_allow.

Still, your suggestion makes sense. Better to be secure out-of-the-box.

I created an enhancement ticket for this,

The tricky part is probably going to be around replicas, automatically
adding and removing access to them for the rule.

rob