[Freeipa-users] DNS forward to sub domain not working

Petr Spacek pspacek at redhat.com
Tue Oct 23 08:53:43 UTC 2012

On 10/23/2012 10:29 AM, Fred van Zwieten wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Thank you for you're input. I found a more or less similar solution here
> <https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/comp.protocols.dns.bind/mdhS0OxQnD4> (I
> tried Google first, but the art there is to formulate the correct search
> phrase..).
>
> I seem to have it working by doing this:
>
> 1. Add A record for subns.example.com <http://subns.example.com>
> 2. Add NS record for sub.example.com <http://sub.example.com> to
> subns.example.com <http://subns.example.com>
>
> Although Petr says to stay away from forwarder, it does not work without them.
> I had to enter zone forwarding addresses on example.com <http://example.com>.
>
> After updates I only got it working after restarting named on the IPA server.
>
> Thank you for the answers
>
> Fred

Hello,

please provide detailed configuration for IPA and "sub" DNS server and I will
investigate it.

For IPA, best way is to export whole DNS subtree to ldif:
$ kinit admin
$ ldapsearch -Y GSSAPI -b 'cn=dns,dc=example,dc=com' > /tmp/ipa.ldif

/var/named/* and /etc/named.conf files from both servers (IPA and also plain
BIND) would be useful.

You can post these files to me privately if you want.

Thank you!

Petr^2 Spacek