[Freeipa-users] clients very slow

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Thu Sep 13 22:49:43 UTC 2012

On 09/13/2012 09:54 AM, David Fitzgerald wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>

> I work at a small university and I deployed freeIPA on my Linux
> network over the summer break with no (known) problems,  and
> everything worked as expected.  However, now that the semester has
> started and the Linux system is under a much higher load, I am
> noticing that my client machines will randomly slow to a crawl.  For
> example, I have a lab of 25 machines.  The students can log in ok, but
> after a time, a few of the machines will freeze so that the users on
> those machines cannot do anything.  After a few minutes, the frozen
> machines will unfreeze, but other machines will freeze up.  I can't
> see any pattern to what machines freeze up.  I did not have this
> problem when running NIS, so I suspect it is something in freeIPA but
> I am not sure what to look for to solve the problem.  Probably a
> setting somewhere needs tweaked but I don't know.  The server and
> clients all run Scientific Linux 6.2.
>

> Can anyone help me troubleshoot this?

Do you use SSSD as a client or something else?

If SSSD we would need the nsswitch, pam, krb5.conf, sssd.conf
configuration files and SSSD logs set to debug_level=8 or 9.

What operation they are freezing on? Is it login/authentication or just
suddenly, which probably indicates identity lookup.
So freezes might be related to the DNS or name resolution lookups that
those machines do. They might be accessing a DNS server that is down or
misconfigured before failing over to a correct one.

So resolve.conf, /etc/hosts would be helpful.
But you might need to check the DNS configuration yourself.

HTH

> Thanks!
>

> Dave
>

> +++++++++++++++++++++++