[Freeipa-users] Easy deployment

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Tue Sep 25 12:46:48 UTC 2012

Dmitri Pal wrote:
> On 09/24/2012 06:17 PM, James James wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> we are planning to install 150 freeipa clients and I was wondering if
>> there is a way to easily install (from kickstart) nfsv4 client.
>>
>> I can add host with
>>
>> # ipa host-add --password=secret
>
> This was exactly intended for the bulk provisioning.
>
> The idea was that you execute this command and then have kickstart files
> seeded or parameterized with this password so you will have 150
> kickstart files that differ in the password value fanned out or you have
> one kickstart file and the password is passed as a parameter.
>
> This was the vision. It definitely require some collaboration with tools
> like Satellite, Cobbler, Foreman, etc. We are not tried it ourselves but
> hope that those projects would be able to use parametarized or seeded
> kickstart files.

I'm having a hard time following what you are trying to do.

Are you not enrolling the host using ipa-client-install? Or are you just
adding the host and manually getting the keytab?

The password option on a host is specifically to do kickstart
enrollment. The idea is you pass it into the ipa-client-install script
and the host enrolls itself.

rob