[Freeipa-users] Where has my LDAP server gone!

simon.williams at thehelpfulcat.com simon.williams at thehelpfulcat.com
Sun Apr 7 20:15:57 UTC 2013

Sorry, I didn’t include much in the way of specifics did I?!  Before yum updated my IPA server from 2.2 to 3, FreeIPA provided (or appeared to provide) an instance of an LDAP server that was accessible locally on port 389.  The web applications I am concerned with is Atlassian Crowd, which I use to authenticate to Jira, Confluence, Bamboo and Fisheye on the local network and also Google Apps.  Crowd is on the same server as FreeIPA so as to allow me to keep port 389 behind the server’s firewall.  Crowd was configured to treat the LDAP server as a read only 389 DS server as experimentation showed that that worked, but I did not install or configure any LDAP software myself.  The LDAP server had been installed as part of the FreeIPA installation.

Crowd is failing since the update as there is no server listening on port 389.  It gets a ‘connection refused’ message.  Netstat confirms that there is no server listening on port 389 and also shows that there is nothing listening on port 636.  Prior to the upgrade, FreeIPA had been running with default settings, I had done nothing to reduce security.

Regards

Simon