[Freeipa-users] LDAP authentication for 3rd party

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Thu Apr 11 19:04:38 UTC 2013

On 04/11/2013 02:47 PM, Bartek Moczulski wrote:
> hi,
> I've got a problem with using IPA as authentication source over LDAP.
> Generally there are two approaches to LDAP authentication:
> 1. bind using admin account and read passwords from user objects (but in
> ipa you cannot read passwords through ldap, right?)
> 2. "bind to authenticate" - service tries to log in to ldap with user's
> credentials. If login is successful authentication is also succesful -
> this approach does not work because you cannot login to IPA ldap using
> bare username, you need a full LDAP DN.

Most applications I know of that do "bind as user" to authenticate also
permit you to specify a format string into which the user name is
inserted (i.e. the format string is the dn, e.g.
"uid=%u,cn=users,cn=accounts,dc=example,dc=com") -or- they do a search
to discover the dn. If you application does not support either approach
it's broken IMHO.

Reading passwords and/or password hashes is not supported for security
reasons.