[Freeipa-users] tough one on DNS

Petr Spacek pspacek at redhat.com
Mon Aug 12 10:47:43 UTC 2013

Hello,

I wonder if your problems with SSL are really caused by problems with reverse
name resolution ... I think that SSL libraries usually don't care about PTR
records. Which SSL libraries do you use? Do you use server's IP address in
certificate subject field?

Regarding the DNS:
First of all, I would recommend to replace conditional forwarder on Windows
side by normal DNS delegation from Windows to FreeIPA: Create NS+A record on
Windows side, do not configure any forwarding from Windows to FreeIPA.

Conditional forwarding usually creates more problems than it solves.

Regarding the reverse zone:
As you said, the correct approach is to have only one authoritative source for
reverse zone - i.e. serve reverse zone only from Windows OR FreeIPA.

Do I understand correctly that you want to allow Windows & non-Windows clients
to update own records in the same reverse zone?

It could be a tricky ... What are your security requirements?
Do you require Kerberos authentication for each update?
Do you have a FreeIPA-Windows trust in place?

Obviously, the simplest thing is to not require update signing :-)

Now seriously: BIND9 could allow you to specify that authenticated clients
from REALM1 and REALM2 can do any update to PTR records in particular reverse
zone, but it could be tricky to configure. (See match type 'wildcard'
mentioned at
ftp://ftp.isc.org/isc/bind9/9.9.3-P1/doc/arm/Bv9ARM.ch06.html#dynamic_update_policies.)

If you need more granular control over each update then match type 'external'
with your own ACL-daemon could be the way to go.

I have no idea how DNS updates from trusted realms are processed on Windows
side, it is possible that you can configure Windows to trust updates from
FreeIPA realm (if there is a trust between Windows and FreeIPA).

Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Petr^2 Spacek

--
Petr^2 Spacek