[Freeipa-users] Restrict AD users from passwd

Sumit Bose sbose at redhat.com
Wed Aug 14 13:37:49 UTC 2013

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 09:19:17AM -0400, Brian Lee wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Our current account management policy requires that users change their AD
> passwords via a special portal, however I've noticed that this can be
> bypassed by issuing passwd on a Linux system while logged in with AD
> credentials, thus changing their AD password.
>
> Any thoughts on the best way to prevent this action?
>
> What I've considered so far is removing the trust in AD, effectively
> creating a one-way trust, but that would limit functionality for future
> interoperability.
>
> Additionally, we could change the permissions for passwd on each Linux
> system, but this would be somewhat hackish and also complicated to enforce,
> since we're waiting on Foreman + Puppet to properly be integrated into
> Katello for our configuration management solution.
>
> Any way to restrict this via the FreeIPA UI?

I think the only safe way to achieve this is to block port 464 on the AD
servers for the Linux hosts. Because basically what passwd is doing here
via SSSD is to change the Kerberos password. The same can be done with
the kpasswd command, it does not require any privileges the user only
needs to know his current password. So even if we add an option to force
SSSD to reject password changes for users from trusted domains there are
other ways for users to change the password which cannot be controlled
by IPA.

Please note that changing the AD password with kpasswd would even work
without trust.

HTH

bye,
Sumit