[Freeipa-users] IPA Load Problems?

John Moyer john.moyer at digitalreasoning.com
Tue Aug 27 09:13:04 UTC 2013

Ok, so we tried to implement this again, and as soon as we put on a server that authenticates heavily the IPA came to it's knees again.   This time I was able to watch it closely and try to troubleshoot a lot more, and also know exactly what server caused it (Mercurial with help of bamboo).   This runs fine on a normal old openldap servers.   The user is logging in very quickly and each time it logs in I can see in the logs that the krbLastsuccessfullogin parameter (or whatever it is called) is updated over and over and over in the changelog (/var/lib/dirsrv/slapd-$instanceid/db) those logs are filling VERY quickly and then disappear fairly quickly as well.

	Issue 1: This is causing severe disk latency which obviously slows everything down wait times were around 25%+
	Issue 2: These changes need to be replicated to my slave server thus adding to the mess

	My question is, why does the IPA server fail to keep up with the load when the openLDAP server didn't have an issue.   Indexes?

I'm running the following:

CentOS release 6.4 (Final)
389-ds-base-1.2.11.15-20.el6_4.x86_64
389-ds-base-libs-1.2.11.15-20.el6_4.x86_64
ipa-python-3.0.0-26.el6_4.4.x86_64
ipa-admintools-3.0.0-26.el6_4.4.x86_64
ipa-pki-common-theme-9.0.3-7.el6.noarch
python-iniparse-0.3.1-2.1.el6.noarch
ipa-server-3.0.0-26.el6_4.4.x86_64
ipa-pki-ca-theme-9.0.3-7.el6.noarch
ipa-server-selinux-3.0.0-26.el6_4.4.x86_64
libipa_hbac-1.9.2-82.7.el6_4.x86_64
ipa-client-3.0.0-26.el6_4.4.x86_64
libipa_hbac-python-1.9.2-82.7.el6_4.x86_64

	So I've implemented this server anyway (against my better judgement with these issues and just made the user that logs into mercurial a local user instead of IPA).

	Also note before I did that for fun I implemented a RAM disk to put the change logs on, and that dropped the wait time to 0 (except bursts where it would raise to 30 to write the access log) but the CPU drove to 100% trying to keep up with the load.  I have also killed the replication as well.

	Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John Moyer
Director, IT Operations