[Freeipa-users] Fwd: Scorched earth

Bret Wortman bret.wortman at damascusgrp.com
Thu Aug 29 12:07:00 UTC 2013

Okay, I have a replica built and running. My original, "sick" server is
ipamaster and the new one is ipamaster2. All I've done thus far on
ipamaster2 is run ipa-replica-install --setup-dns --no-forwarders
replica-info-ipamaster2.foo.net.gpg.

What additional steps do I need to take to ensure that the process of
shutting down ipamaster, wiping it out, building it up fresh and then
replicating ipamaster2 back to ipamaster and making ipamaster again the
center of the universe and my certificate authority work correctly,
cleanly, and with minimal fuss? Given the mess I got our servers already, I
figured I should ask *before* I start messing about today.

I *think* the process should look something like this (I don't want you all
thinking I'm looking for someone to do *all* my thinking for me):

1. Take snapshot of ipamaster (just in case)
2. [ipamaster2]# ipa-ca-install
/var/lib/ipa/replica-info-ipamaster2.foo.net.gpg<http://bl-1.com/click/load/UmNcb1c3BTVQNlMzBTU-b0231>(I
should've done this during the ipa-ca-install, but since the ca step
is
so rare, I didn't have it in my wiki notes).
3. [ipamaster]# reboot

This reboot will trigger a Cobbler & Puppet-based wipe of the system and
reinstallation of F18 and freeipa-server. While that's going on:

4. [ipamaster2]# ipa-replica-prepare
ipamaster.foo.net<http://bl-1.com/click/load/XWxZalAwUWFQNgdnBzY-b0231>1.2.3.4

When ipamaster is back up:

5. [ipamaster]# cd /var/lib/ipa && scp
ipamaster2:/var/lib/ipa/replica-info-ipamaster.foo.net.gpg<http://bl-1.com/click/load/UmMKOVw8AjICZAdnVGo-b0231>.
6. [ipamaster]# ipa-replica-install --setup-dns --no-forwarders --setup-ca
replica-info-ipamaster.foo.net.gpg<http://bl-1.com/click/load/Bjdcb1AwUGAEYgZmCTY-b0231>

Usually, there's some reason I need to go back to ipamaster2 and either
delete a dns entry or ipa host-del the system. After the replica install is
done:

7. Shut down and delete the ipamaster2 VM.
8. Upgrade existing "replicas" to F18 and latest IPA version.
9. Establish replication agreements with now-functioning ipamaster.

Does that sound right?

*
*
*Bret Wortman*