[Freeipa-users] CA expiration and renewal

Erinn Looney-Triggs erinn.looneytriggs at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 17:58:20 UTC 2013

On 12/04/2013 07:15 AM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
> Erinn Looney-Triggs wrote:

Some parts may be still be a little rough or hard to understand.

>>> Services will be restarted during this process including your
>>> LDAP, Apache and CA instances. Downtime should be relatively
>>> short, no more than a few minutes combined.

>>> A PEM cert looks like:
>>>
>>> -----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
>>> MIIB/zCCAWigAwIBAgICA+gwDQYJKoZIhvcNAQEFBQAwKTEnMCUGA1UEAxMeSVBB

IFRlc3QgQ2VydGlmaWNhdGUgQXV0aG9yaXR5MB4XDTEwMDIyMzIyMzMxNVoXDTIw
>>> MDIyMzIyMzMxNVowKTEnMCUGA1UEAxMeSVBBIFRlc3QgQ2VydGlmaWNhdGUgQXV0

aG9yaXR5MIGfMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBAQUAA4GNADCBiQKBgQC+G6ultyLaXqzBlypA
>>> DnOsinkMTlZZssTFQh/QUMi1F1fcn8QUlmsl9a+l6w6hfZm7P8z3sVwsjLQcDWA4

KxOh+LmIsNL4OKx4wKF1q/pSt1PATRU5Pgu2+3wlwJO0H7cl4QfavoOLwmxAZf/l
>>> ZNIy/5czvSWFWj7EJj16ty9BeQIDAQABozYwNDARBglghkgBhvhCAQEEBAMCAAcw

DwYDVR0TAQH/BAUwAwEB/zAOBgNVHQ8BAf8EBAMCAsQwDQYJKoZIhvcNAQEFBQAD
>>> gYEAl0gIshwNkhyfNe1XMLswPeOgH5YN1BUuKXzbv1fuSIkArjwLODr4cOdXzQvt

yaiX6Z+pRC/sK8MgLhPxV2X9QVQdzKfLkVGIdboCt1j3EXxSUCZeIuSKouitkWYe
>>> eSH9DQkYDp/oKgANLWnY7CNorPz6xQktp1pB0DGohV1BeTA= -----END
>>> CERTIFICATE-----
>>>
>>> You need to drop the BEGIN/END blocks then combine all the
>>> lines into a single line, so you have a unified base64 blog. It
>>> will look like:
>>>
>>> ca.signing.cert=MII...B0DGohV1BeTA=
>>>
>>> I was afraid wrapping woudl destroy my demonstration so I used
>>> ellipses instead.

>>> You're welcome. You too.
>>>
>>> rob
>>>

>> Ok I have done the steps as outlined. One small suggestion and
>> one question came up.
>>
>> Suggestion: for the ldapmodify command indicate that a ctl-d is
>> necessary to end input. Most folks will know this, but some may
>> not.
>>
>> For the client section you have me copy the newly signed
>> subordnate CA certificate into /etc/ipa/ca.crt. However, on my
>> hosts that was actually a copy of the AD CS certificate, not the
>> subordinate certificate. In the case of a subordinate
>> installation do you want the root or the subordinate CA? It would
>> seem that the root would be broader, but I just want to make
>> sure.
>>

> The IPA CA cert should be sufficient.
>
> rob

Thanks, and just for an update, the switch over was made, certmonger
is happily updating certs now on all hosts and everything just appears
to be working thus far, minus the replication of the agent certificate
which I am still looking into.

Thanks for the help,

- -Erinn