[Freeipa-users] ipa: ERROR: Certificate operation cannot be completed: Failure decoding Certificate Signing Request

Michael Mercier mmercier at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 18:47:24 UTC 2013

Hello,

A few details to begin:

The IPA system consists of 3 servers running on fully patched CentOS 6.5 (updated Monday night).  DNS is integrated with the IPA system.

ipa-*-3.0.0-37.
mod_nss-1.0.8-19
openssl-1.0.1e-16

The system was upgraded from 2.2

Yesterday, I revoked a certificate for an old system and signed a certificate for the replacement system (same hostname) with no apparent issues.

Today, I am attempting to sign a certificate for a new system and I am seeing the following error from the command line (with debug=True in /etc/ipa/default.conf):

ipa cert-request <csrfile>
principal: <hostname>

ipa: ERROR: Certificate operation cannot be completed: Failure decoding Certificate Signing Request

The GUI responds with:
IPA ERROR 4310
Certificate operation cannot be completed: Failure decoding Certificate Signing Request

I have no issues running 'openssl req -text -noout -verify -in <csrfile>’ on the request file.

I did do a 'yum update’ on the system today (after experiencing the errors), with openssl and mod_nss being upgraded on all servers.  All systems were rebooted after the upgrade and the problem still exists.

I did see an older thread with a similar issue, but that seemed to involve updating expired certs and Rob did not seem to be able to reproduce the error.  Maybe I am experiencing the same problem?

Anyone have an idea where a good place to start looking is?

Thanks,
Mike