[Freeipa-users] Replica master in strange state -- how to resolve?

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Tue Dec 17 14:15:18 UTC 2013

Bret Wortman wrote:

> On 12/16/2013 10:37 PM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
>> Dmitri Pal wrote:

>>> Do you use IPA DNS?
>
> Yes
>>> What does DNS say about fsipa.damascusgrp.com and fsipa.spx.net?
>>
>> It would appear that the replica uninstallation was a bit incomplete.
>> The lack of replication may be part of, or the cause of, the problem.
>>
>> I guess I would start by double-checking that the remaining master
>> doesn't have an RUV record for the old one:
>>
>> # ipa-replica-manage list-ruv
>>
> This returns nothing, so I'm assuming that's good.
>
>> If so you can use the clean-ruv command to clean things up. Be very
>> careful what number you plug in there. This is one of those "with
>> great power comes great responsibility" commands.
>>
>> As for the remaining master entries, you'll need to use ldapdelete to
>> remove them.
>>
>> Something like this:
>>
>> # ldapdelete -x -D 'cn=directory manager' -W r
>> cn=replica-to-delete.example.com,cn=masters,cn=ipa,cn=etc,dc=greyoak,dc=com
>>
>> ^D
>>
> # ldapdelete -x -D 'cn=directory manager' -W -r
> cn=fsipa.damascusgrp.com,cn=masters,cn=ipa,cn=etc,dc=damascusgrp,dc=com
> ^D
> ldap_delete: Operations error (1)
> ldap_delete: Operation not allowed on non-leaf (66)
> #

Strange. The -r is for recursion and should delete all the children too.

Oh well. Instead try this:

ldapsearch -LLL -x -D 'cn=Directory manager' -W -b
cn=fsipa.damascusgrp.com,cn=masters,cn=ipa,cn=etc,dc=damascusgrp,dc=com dn

Those are all the dns to pass to ldapdelete. Delete the leaf nodes (the
service entries) first, then the fsipa value.

>> My syntax may be a bit off but you basically want to delete this entry
>> and all its children. If you're nervous stick in the -n option and it
>> will tell you what its going to do without deleting anything.
>>
> Actually, the "-n" option just distracted me for 5 minutes -- it had me
> chasing syntax until I realized that it was just not doing anything and
> not reporting anything either. Dropping it led to the error above.

Right, -n is to show what would be done without actually doing anything.
It is handy with a command like this, especially when using recursion.

cheers

rob