[Freeipa-users] IPA replica directory server hung

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Thu Dec 19 18:01:38 UTC 2013

On 12/19/2013 09:19 AM, Joe Mou wrote:
> Here are the results of that command:
>
> $ ldapsearch -xLLL -D "cn=directory manager" -W -b
> dc=the,dc=flatiron,dc=com '(objectclass=ldapsubentry)'
> Enter LDAP Password:
> dn: cn=Password Policy,cn=accounts,dc=the,dc=flatiron,dc=com
> cn: Password Policy
> cosspecifier: memberOf
> cosAttribute: krbPwdPolicyReference override
> costemplatedn: cn=cosTemplates,cn=accounts,dc=the,dc=flatiron,dc=com
> objectClass: top
> objectClass: ldapsubentry
> objectClass: cosSuperDefinition
> objectClass: cosClassicDefinition

Ok.  Looks like IPA uses CoS for password policy based on group
membership using the memberof attribute in each user's entry.

I think we can temporarily disable this.

First, save the above entry to a file e.g. pwpolicycos.ldif

Next, ipactl restart
Just after the directory server is restarted, delete this entry:
ldapdelete -x -D "cn=directory manager" -W "cn=Password
Policy,cn=accounts,dc=the,dc=flatiron,dc=com"

Once everything is working again, add back the entry:

ldapmodify -x -D "cn=directory manager" -W -a -f pwpolicycos.ldif