[Freeipa-users] IPA Create User

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Tue Feb 5 00:35:42 UTC 2013

On 02/04/2013 07:07 PM, It Meme wrote:
> Thank you John for your helpful reply.
>
> Near real time will be sufficient - within the 5 min range.
>
> Will it be practical when managing a user's groups - these can happen
> when a user moves within the organization or is terminated.

I'm not sure we've done timing measurements on various operations, but
in general most IPA commands are fast executing in sub-second elapsed
time on the server. Latency on the client side can be introduced by such
things as authentication (mitigated by the use of client sessions),
network latencies between the client and the server, DNS resolution,
etc. Those types of network induced latencies can be very hard to
predict because it depends on a number of external factors having
nothing to do with IPA per se. Elapsed time on the server is also
influenced by LDAP tuning (e.g. indexes), memory, available CPU, etc.

Things like adding a user, or adding a user to a group are not compute
intensive and should execute quickly. For your intended use I don't see
any issues with the elapsed time for command execution.

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>

Looking to carve out IT costs?
www.redhat.com/carveoutcosts/