[Freeipa-users] Postponing IPA 3 upgrade

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Mon Feb 11 18:25:56 UTC 2013

Christian Horn wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 12:00:22PM -0500, Rashard.Kelly at SITA.aero wrote:
>> I was wondering if I need to be concerned about IPA 2 being updated
>> automatically to IPA 3? We have a working IPA 2 environment in place now
>> and wanted to know if IPA needed to be added to an exclude list. We are
>> afraid of breaking our current setup. When IPA 3 is released will yum
>> automatically upgrade it to 3 or will that be something that we have to
>> manually issue?
>
> If you have the old system only receiving z-stream updates, so i.e.
> 6.3.z for a RHEL6.3 then you will stay on ipa2.
>
> I just tested the upgrade of a populated ipa2/rhel6.3 to rhel6.4 .
> Without a 'exclude=ipa*' in yum.conf the ipa is upgraded like all
> other packages when the system gets a RHEL6.4 repo configured and
> 'yum update' is executed.
> The release notes do not note any special upgrade procedure, also
> for my testsetup the upgrade went without any issues.
>
> Thus all points at that upgrade path is ok, as for all other packages.

I would add that I would be careful about only excluding the IPA
packages. We rely on a lot of other subsystemsand mixing versions may
not work as expected. In particular 389-ds-base, pki-core and krb5-*.

We are experimenting with a strict subpackage in Fedora to address this,
to prevent a set of other packages from being upgraded, but it isn't
quite ready for prime-time.

rob