[Freeipa-users] Postponing IPA 3 upgrade

Christian Horn chorn at fluxcoil.net
Mon Feb 11 19:31:22 UTC 2013

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 02:26:06PM -0500, Rob Crittenden wrote:
> Christian Horn wrote:

> >>I would add that I would be careful about only excluding the IPA
> >>packages. We rely on a lot of other subsystemsand mixing versions
> >>may not work as expected. In particular 389-ds-base, pki-core and
> >>krb5-*.
> >
> >Cant we then just tie the ipa packages to the older 389-ds-base etc.
> >package versions?
> >
> >Christian
> >

> That's what we're looking into, to have, for example, specific
> Requires: 389-ds-base = x.y.z rather than >= x.y.z. This introduces
> other challenges too because we need to allow some amount of
> flexibility. We just need to find the right balance.

Ah, thanks for the background.

I think somewhere in the RHEL support docs we also have a place which
reads like 'all previously released errata should be applied'.
This also hints that this strict tieing is not done in other places,
and using 'exclude' for RHEL packages should not be done often.
Seen it mostly to hold back kernel and glibc updates, to have them
applied at a convenient time with a reboot.

Christian